24 Mar Think Before You Ink | Top 10 Worst Tattoo Blunders
You’ve seen them. Assaulting you from a nearby bicep. Glaring at you from the neck in front of you at the checkout line.
They’re everywhere. Makes you wonder…what were they thinking?
Getting a tattoo is a dream come true for thousands of people every year. Unfortunately, the experience can quickly turn into a nightmare if you don’t follow a few simple rules.
So before you ink, take a look at these 10 ways that your tattoos can go very wrong, very fast.
- Bad art – Let’s face it, sometimes a tattoo is just plain ugly, no matter what angle you look at it. Rule of thumb: Never let your brother-in-law test out his new tattoo gun on you. And always, always ask to see a portfolio before you choose an artist.
- Bad location – There are certain places that should never be tattooed. Like your hand. Your face. You may be in your 20s now and think they’re really cool, but trust us…someday you’ll be 40 and wonder what you were thinking, and why you never got that promotion you wanted.
- Misspellings – This happens all the time. We get that not everyone is a good speller, but nearly everyone has access to a dictionary. There aren’t many things more embarrassing than walking around with your ignorance displayed for the world to see.
- Stupid sayings – Okay, the words may mean something to you, but that doesn’t mean they don’t sound really dumb to the rest of us. Especially the ones that are misspelled.
- Celebrity tattoos – We love our famous people, but should we love them so much that we want to look at them on our thighs for the rest of our lives? We’re not saying don’t – just make sure your chosen celebrity has staying power, and won’t fade away like, well…a bad tattoo.
- Trendy tattoos – Any tattoo idea you got from Pinterest has a nearly 100 percent chance of appearing on 10,000 other people. Remember, today’s “feather with little birds flying out of it” is tomorrow’s tattoo removal.
- Unreadable tattoos – If you’re going to spend the money on a tattoo, be sure the font selection is readable. There are tons of good fonts out there, so pick one.
- Names of girlfriends / boyfriends – When Johnny Depp had Winona Ryder’s name inked on his arm, we’re sure he thought love was going to last forever. He was wrong. Don’t make the same mistake. Like your mother always said, wait until you’re married.
- Tasteless Tattoos – It’s true that tattoo tastelessness is in the eye of the beholder. What’s hilarious for one person is boorish for the next. But there are a few that transcend the world of funny and fall into the abyss of abhorrence. This includes anything racist or sexist, rude language and/or gestures. Do everyone a favor and just don’t.
- Non-originality – How many lower back scrolls and barbed wire biceps do we have to see before Congress passes a law against them? Getting a tattoo is a wonderful opportunity to express yourself in a beautiful and original way. Don’t take the easy way out.
If you’re guilty of any of these tattoo blunders, you might want to consider tattoo removal or redesign. Seriously.
INK ON. INK OFF IS A NEW CONCEPT, CLINICIAN-LED TATTOO CENTER LOCATED IN CLEVELAND, OHIO, THAT SPECIALIZES IN CLINICAL ARTISTRY TATTOO REMOVAL, TATTOO REDESIGN / ALTERATIONS, AND NEW ARTISTRY.